Monday, February 16, 2009

Harrison Schmitt re: global warming

I just heard a news item about former astronaut Harrison Schmitt, who stated recently that the:
"global warming scare is being used as a political tool to increase government control over American lives, incomes and decision making."
You can read the entire article here:

http://www.demingheadlight.com/ci_11712902

I am glad that more scientists are speaking out on this issue, which I feel is blown out of all proportion.

On another note, I have been trying to get my arms around the way the stimulus package is going to work for those of us who are retired, although we still pay taxes to the state and federal government for our pensions. What I heard today is that we will not be receiving lump-sum check this year like we did in 2007; instead, our taxes will be reduced by a pittance each week, on the theory that receiving smaller regular payments will encourage us to buy more, rather than pay down our debt or save for emergencies, large purchases, etc.
Why am I surprised? The powers that be have been using totally insane 'logic' so far to deal with the economic crisis, so why should I expect them to regain sanity now?
On that note, I would like to wish you all happy early Washington's Birthday, and a belated happy Lincoln's birthday... and for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, these milestones actually used to be celebrated on the actual dates, not a generic, made-up date to make another 3-day weekend... Oh, well!

No comments: