Monday, February 9, 2009

Made in the USA?

I recently forwarded an e-mail I received to our son who is in the Army, stationed stateside. The gist of the e-mail was:
'So my challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!'

Here is the reply I received from him:

I have had a personal boycott on Chinese made products for over a year now. Its not about buy in the USA for me. Its about how I don't want to support a government that uses forced abortion, sterilization, political prisoner slave labor in coal mines, and the general oppresion of their population for the purpose to remain in power and advance their influence around the world. Too many US. companies have outsourced their production overseas to ever know if it is really a "Made in the USA" product. A majority of American cars are built in Canada and Mexico, while Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, and Hyundai build more cars here than Ford, GM, or Chyrsler. VW plans on building a plant here and Fiat is considering doing the same. The difference and why they don't get credit is their labor does not come from the UAW. They also buy from the same suppliers as US companies and many of their models are considered American. The Ford Focus and all of its components are made in Mexico but is considered American due to NAFTA. I could give more examples but I have made my point. Repeal NAFTA and renegotiate labor agreements to create real American Products and services at a competitve price. Forward that message to Washington for me because they won't listen to me.

He said I could post it here... and I can't add anything to improve the message!

No comments: