Sunday, November 2, 2008

"Do Unto others..."

This was a saying I heard a lot when I was growing up. At first, I didn't understand what it meant... I had a tendency to react without thinking of the consequences, either to myself or to others. Someone did something I didn't like, I would lash out at them. I remember once my brother was teasing me... I was somewhere around 9 or 10 at the time, and he loved to tease me. Anyway, I got mad at him and doused him with a glass of ginger ale, which also went all over my Great Grandmother's wall, her couch... what a mess! I learned the hard way that it doesn't pay to react violently or there will be the piper to pay!
When my husband and I lived in Southern California, I found that the phenomenon of too many people trying to occupy the same space at the same time resulted quite often in road rage. It's almost impossible to drive within the speed limit there, or you are in danger of being run off the road! A valuable lesson I learned was to move to the slow lane and hopefully let all the speeders by without incident. Do Unto Others...
I am concerned about how, in our current age, people seem to have forgotten this simple premise in their daily lives. There is so much anger, lack of consideration, lack of respect for others. I know we can't all agree on everything, but it seems to me that we could do a lot better at trying to work together, to try to open our minds to different ideas. Giving thought to what we really believe in, then giving thought to how those beliefs compare to the beliefs of others. In a future post, I plan to outline my basic beliefs. Most of these beliefs are based on things I was taught as a child, and most of them still hold true for me. Until then, I hope your day and week go well!

No comments: