Thursday, November 13, 2008

Words worth considering

Someone sent me a power point presentation today with words of wisdom, along with some beautiful pictures. One quote really caught my attention: "Open your arms to change but don't give up your values". That is so timely, what with all the rhetoric about 'Change' these days. We live in a world of change... often we need to make changes in our outlook or ideas to adapt to the external changes that swirl about us. But I couldn't agree more that it is vital that we hold on to our values, and find ways to cope with the things we can't change within the framework of our values.
I have written in previous posts about the values I hold dear. I am struggling with conflicting feelings about the government bailing out our financial institutions, the auto industry, etc., in an effort to stablize the global economy. First off, I think the time for government action is way overdue, but should have come in the form of basic legislation to prevent lenders from practices that are fiscally unsound. It makes no sense whatever to approve a loan to a borrower who does not have good credit. It is not only unhealthy for the lending institution, but it is insanity to put borrowers in a position where they will most likely default on the loan. I also think the borrowing public needs to take some responsibility for entering into risky loans. Living within our means is far better than taking out a loan with the hope that we will be able to repay it!
I am also trying to understand how the auto industry and their unions thought they could survive while driving the price of new vehicles so high that the average buyer could not even consider purchasing a new car these days! I'm driving around in a 13 year old vehicle for a good reason... there is no way I can see myself clear to put 20-30k into a vehicle! Not now, or anytime in my future. Therefore, I will continue to drive this vehicle until it dies, then will look for a used car to continue my journey.
Rather than seque into a rant about unions or minimum wage, suffice it to say that in my humble opinion, we as a nation need to divest ourselves of any unnecessary expenditures, tighten our belts, and learn to live with less while the globe reels from this certain resession... my hope is that once we have gotten through this era, that we learn something from it... quit putting ourselves in fiscal danger in order to 'own' things we really don't need... put some of our income aside to cover emergencies, and think real hard about how much we can afford to go in debt. Meanwhile, I can only hope and pray that those in the position of leading our country will rethink their values and act in a responsible and prudent manner as they go about the business of running our country. Mom always used to tell me I should learn from my mistakes so I don't have to keep repeating them... I sincerely hope our leaders follow that suggestion and stop practicing same s__t, different day!

1 comment:

kathy said...

Hi Judy, I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the situation and your solution! I think our nation is going to have to start living within its means, just like a lot of us have already been doing. And somehow we have to make our government do likewise. There is so much coming at us so fast and hard, my head is spinning....Thanksgiving is coming...let's give thanks for what is good.